Monday, August 16, 2010

Baking Making Mondays

Mmmmmm, it smells so good in here. Can you smell it? No? Alright I will have to tell you instead. It smells like fresh homemade bread, oatmeal cookies, and Peach Crisp all at the same time. With homeschooling, I don't have time for the rest of the week for baking and such. Ok, really, I don't have time for many things with eight children. Even still, I have declared Monday for baking and making. It's other name is Home Economics. LOL. We make whole wheat bread for lunchtime sandwiches for the rest of the week. I like my family to have whole grain and found the prices of real whole grain bread at the store to be a bit much for me. I have been extremely fortunate that my Grandfather, when he used go to garage sales, found me a wheat grinder for $2.00. Score! So I store my own wheat and make bread once a week. After some trial and error for 6 years, I have perfected my own recipe and put it on Allrecipes. Soft and Yummy Whole Wheat Bread I also take one of the loaves sometime and make Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls. They are infamous in these parts. Here's a picture of them rising.



The girls made Oatmeal cookies because it is Family night tonight. They almost put in 1 1/2 cups of Salt in instead of teaspoons. I am soo glad I caught it! They would have been disgusting. *yuck*

And I wasn't going to make Peach Crisp but I saw that the peaches on my peach tree looked salvageable. This was our first year for peaches. It should have been last year but a late frost killed the blooms. I feel bad that I didn't spray them as much as was needed. I'm not perfect. With full time nursing of a baby, it cuts down what I can do. However, some were salvageable! Yeah!! It's going to be oh so yummy!



I've still got beans to can tonight. I did 13 quarts of Kidney Beans done this weekend. Better go get the chickpeas started....


Good news, I will sleep well tonight and I am set for the week.
Lov
Liv

1 comment:

Kerri said...

Very nice! I wish I could smell the bread. I love canning kidney beans...so easy and soooo much cheaper then buying canned beans.