Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!




Today is Earthday and I'm all for that. My recycling is neatly stacked at the curb, my organic garden is growing well, and my cloth covered baby bums are happily running around the house. All is well on Earthday!

As you can tell, I am a big believer in Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. Shhhhh. Don't tell my fellow HOA neighborhood police, that won't even allow me to have a clothesline. And no, I am not kidding. Hence, Pushing the Suburban Envelope. What can I get away with in the burbs without getting fined. The chickens lasted a whole year at least...I regress.

But, despite my lack of clothesline, I still use cloth diapers and dry them on an indoor rack. And when I wash them, I wash them in Rockin Green. Great for the environment and super great with diapers. I have been doing cloth diapers for 10 years and I can tell you that a good diaper detergent is key. Key for a happy bum and a happy mum. And my Rockin green comes in these cute muslin bags. Too cute to throw away. So, what would be a way that I could reuse them? Granted, if I had enough of them, my daughters would have me make them into a quilt or something, but alas, I only have two. And I hear that they are no longer going to be packaging them in the muslin bags, anymore. And I can't wait to see their new packaging!

But with my empty one, how can I reuse such a cute bag? Think, think, think... Well I decide that since they were great for my children's diapers, they would be perfect for storing my little "diapers". Ok, they are not diapers but all wrapped up like that, they look like cute little diapers to me. Oh yea, ladies we are going there! I LOVE cloth pads. I grew up in the traditional sense when it came to feminine products....disposables all the way. Oh and I was suppose to be grateful that they didn't come on belts like the "good old days". The fashion got thinner and more absorbent, and slowly but surely, my body soon revolted. We put lotion on the rest of our bodies to keep it moist but remove all the moisture down there with current ultra thin pads. My body started to become tooo dry and the plastic was unbreathable. It was an awful combination. I mean they tell you to always wear cotton because it breathes but just not during that time of the month though. Seems like an contradiction to me. So after years and years and years of doing what the mainstream does, I decided to try the alternative. Cloth pads. I couldn't believe how comfortable they were. Like wearing only underwear. So cool and comfortable, it was night and day. My only regret was not switching sooner! And even that has furthered my resolve to use cloth on my babies. They deserve to be cool and comfortable too.

I would be remiss if I didn't say something to all the women in my life. And I have. Now, I will go back into my cloned suburban "earth toned colored" house and figure out how I can make vermicomposting work around here. Ahhh, they can't tell me what I can do inside my home..... yet!
Lov
Liv

No comments: