Friday, March 19, 2010

I made my own Laundry Detergent today!


I admit it, I love the Duggars! I couldn't do 19 children but I think they do an awesome job. They also have a web page of their favorite recipes, including Laundry Detergent. I have been wanting to make it for 6 years (blush), but couldn't find all the ingredients to do so. In South Carolina I couldn't find Fels-Naptha Soap so I gave up. Then, the other day, when looking for Calgon Water Softner, there was the Soap and the Washing Soda. I couldn't believe it and couldn't pass up the chance to finally try it out.

I did wait until my other detergent ran out first. Then I shredded the bar today and got to work. Nikki mixed the soap as it heated up. I didn't have a 5 gallon bucket, well I do but it is a food grade bucket and I wasn't going to waste it on non food grade stuff. So I used two old laundry detergent buckets, one is 3 gallons and the other is 2 gallons. I couldn't use them for much else so it was perfect!

After I got it all mixed, it looked pretty much like soapy water and that concerned me. I was worried that it wouldn't gel up, like it said in the instructions. I messed up some icing recently so it was a valid concern. But this evening, sure enough it is gel! The instructions say to cut it in half again with water, but I just plan to use an 1/8 cup instead of diluting it again. I actually do have an 1/8 cup measuring cup somewhere around here, just got to find it. I will let you know how it goes, but for less than $2.00 for 640 loads, you can't beat the price. You can find the recipe and all the Duggar's Favorite Recipes HERE.

I also found that Rosemary Essential Oil complimented the smell that the Fels-Naptha already had. Laundry day tomorrow!
Lov
Liv

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did it go and where did you find the washing soda and the fels naptha? Shannon Rives

comerrick said...

It went very well and it is cleaning good as well. It seems the local Kroger stores carry them. aka Dillons
Lov
Liv