Monday, September 22, 2008

Are Acorns really Edible?

Well, I am determined to find out. It seems that it is a dietary item for American Indians and in different dishes around the world. The problem is that it contains Tannin which is quite bitter tasting. So to fix that we have to leach out the Tanins. I have been letting them sit in water, sometimes I cook the water too to speed up the process, and when it becomes brown, I then drain and refill again. This brown stuff is the tanin. Once it become clear then I can roast them. I have been doing this since Thursday. Granted, not the whole time. I have been quite busy. But I try to drain it when I can. I will let you know how they turn out.


As for the Butterflies, we are now up to 5 who have hatched and been on their way. And we have yet to actually see one come out of their chrysalis.
Lov
Lov

Oh my gosh, I think I hear a rooster crowing!

1 comment:

Karies place said...

Sounds interesting. Would love to know the end result if you could let me know.

Karie (from ldfr)