Monday, July 14, 2008

My chicks new coop.



I had an interesting time making sure chicks work in the burbs. I do live in a covenant area at the time of building BUT that was suppose to fall onto the homeowners when the building was done. The building has been done for a year now and still no homeowners and I don't think we will have one either. I have this feeling that most of people around here don't care for one either. Why, might you ask? Because according to the covenants, A LOT of people would be in violation and quite a few homes will need to be repainted to boot. :P My next door neighbor, doesn't like to mow his lawn to keep into city ordinances let alone covenants and he loves to park his trailers on the side lawn, big no no! AND he is a cop! LOL

So per city ordinances, I can have chickens as long as their coop is 50 ft from any neighboring building. With disturbance ordinance, I obviously cannot keep roosters. No problem for me. But where would be this allusive 50 ft other than my Garage! So I built a garage coop. Plus as far as neighbors are concerned, out of sight, out of mind. I will free range the chickens during the day (when most are at work around here) in the backyard. I am thinking of installing a doggy door to the garage or maybe just leaving the door open during the day. I haven't decided yet. I have a shop light over the coop now plugged into a timer. The lights are the broad spectum light that simulate daylight. This is especially helpful in the winter. Since the coop is also in the garage, I didn't worry about weather proofing it but more on ventilation. It cost me about $50 bucks for the whole thing. Most of the wood was either free or leftovers, including the pegboard that I used for the top. It still has some more work to be done. I need to install a pull down door and build nesting boxes. Nesting boxes won't really be needed until about Halloween so I am not in so much of a hurry for that.

Currently I have 8 Black Star Pullets in there but 2 are a friends that I am keeping until she gets her coop built. Since they are Black Stars, I have decided to name them Aretha, Gladys, Oprah, Halle, Whitney, Beyonce, Diana, and Pecka. Pecka, I know is not a black star, it's the name of the town we were driving through when the children wanted to name her. Oh well.

And in just a couple of days I will be shipped 7 Americauna chicks that I ordered. I'm so excited. If you don't know what kind they are, they are the ones that lay the Blue and Green eggs. So when it is all said and done, I should have about a dozen eggs a day! I wonder if I can use eggs as bribes to shut the neighbors up? :D
Lov
Liv

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never thought of putting a coop in the garage. I keep thinking about keeping chickens as well, but haven't taken the plunge.

Katrack